One of my favorite summer cocktails is the frozen margarita. Drinking a margarita is so refreshing during the hot months and I love making them for summer holidays. This Red, White & Blue Frozen Margarita has patriotic layers and a sweet flavor.
It’s sweetened with cherry and coconut flavors and swirled with patriotic colors. It’s made with white tequila and triple sec. Make a whole pitcher of patriotic margaritas with this recipe – perfect for parties!
Margaritas have got to be one of the greatest cocktails of all time! I love my Blackberry Margarita, that’s on the rocks. My Frozen Peach Margarita recipe is a great twist too, but sometimes you need to theme your cocktail for the occasion! It’s sweet, slightly tart, and it’s frosty. It’s the perfect cocktail to serve for parties.
A layered cocktail looks pretty, but I promise that it isn’t difficult to make. I’ll show you how to make each layer and how to assemble the cocktail before serving! The end result looks so neat and each color layer has a slightly different flavor.
How To Make A Red, White & Blue Frozen Margarita
You’ll need a blender to make your pitcher of margaritas. I love my Ninja Blender because the blades easily crush ice, since they’re vertically stacked. You’ll also need plenty of ice on hand, so be prepared if you have to make some or buy some. The other two tools I use are a tall straw (or skewer) to blend layers and an ice cream scoop.
The white layer uses margarita mix. Pick any brand that you prefer. The red layer uses a Koolaid mix. If you want to use a sugar-free version, that’s fine as well!
The Best Cocktail Jigger & Margarita Glasses To Use
I always recommend my favorite OXO Cocktail Jigger, that you can purchase on Amazon. Use it to measure out your alcohol. It has over 20k 5-star ratings on Amazon. If you invest in one tool for your bar, that’s the one I recommend the most!
Don’t use a traditional margarita glass for this recipe. It won’t show off the fun layers. Instead, consider using a mason jar or tall glass (like the one I used). The deeper glass allows more room for the red, white and blue layers to show.
What To Serve With Your Red, White & Blue Frozen Margaritas
We started making these margaritas because we wanted a cocktail for summer holidays. It’s perfect for Memorial Day, 4th of July or Labor Day. I can’t think of any better cocktail for those holidays!
Here are some other patriotic recipes you can serve with the margs:
What Type Of Tequila To Use For This Patriotic Frozen Margarita
Tequila is the star of any margarita recipe. Don’t hesitate to invest in a great tequila. It really makes a difference with this cocktail. Long-term readers know I’ll be honest with you and tell you when you can cheap out. This margarita recipe deserves a great tequila.
I recommend using tequila reposado for this recipe. This type of tequila is aged and has a more nuanced, interesting flavor than a tequila blanco. Tequila blanco is not aged and has a straightforward flavor. You can use either, but reposado will add the most flavor.
The brand that we love in our home is Herradura. It’s a top-shelf tequila that’s so smooth and delicious. I’m also a firm believer (thanks to some college days) that cheap tequila will leave you with an awful hangover. Buying top-shelf tequila greatly reduces the risk of a hangover.
What You’ll Need From The Store:
- Cherry Liqour
- Cherry Koolaid Mix
- Sweet and Sour Mix
- Triple Sec
- Light Colored Margarita Mix
- Pina Colada Syrup
- Coconut Water
- Blue Curacao
- Blue Raspberry Syrup
- Simple Syrup
- Salt or Sugar Crystals
- Lime (for garnish)
- 4 oz Cherry Liquor
- 4 oz Cherry Kool Aid, ready made 4 oz Sweet and Sour mix
- 4 cups of Ice
- 4 oz Tequila
- 1 oz Triple Sec
- 4 oz Light colored Margarita Mix 2 oz Pina colada Syrup
- 2 oz Coconut Water
- 2 oz Tequila
- 3 oz Blue Curacao
- 6 oz Light colored Sweet and sour mix 2 oz Blue Raspberry syrup
- Simple Syrup
- Salt or Sugar Crystals
- Lime wheel
- Rim Your Glass: Pour your simple syrup on a small plate or bowl. Add your salt or sugar to a separate small -plate or bowl.
Dip your glass into the simple syrup and then into the salt or sugar. Set to the side.
- Red Layer: In a blender add all of your cocktail ingredients. Blend on high until smooth.
Pour into a small container or pitcher. Set to the side.
- White Layer: In a blender add all of your cocktail ingredients. Blend on high until smooth. Pour into a small container or pitcher. Set to the side.
- Blue Layer: In a blender add all of your cocktail ingredients. Blend on high until smooth.
Pour into a small container or pitcher. Set to the side
- Assemble Your Drink: Scoop out the white mixture and add to the glass. Scoop out the red mixture and add to the glass on top of the white. Scoop out another white mixture and add to the glass on top of the red. Scoop out the blue mixture and add to the glass on top of the white. Scoop out another white mixture and add to the glass on top of the blue.
- To Finish: Take your tall straw and insert it along the side of the cocktail mixture in the glass. Move it up and down to create a design with your colors. Repeat as much as you want to create your design.
- Feel free to use sugar-free versions of the ingredients to lower the calorie and carb value.
- Top shelf versions of the liquor is not required, but makes a difference in flavor. I use repasado tequila (blanco).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 637Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 190mgCarbohydrates: 128gFiber: 2gSugar: 117gProtein: 1g
**Nutrition is calculated by a third party. Actual values may vary.