Summertime entertainment means three patriotic holidays for our family: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day. I’d be lying if I said I created a unique menu for each holiday. I like to keep it simple! You only need one EASY patriotic dessert recipe and you’re good for all three events.
These Red, White and Blue cupcakes are easier to make than you think. I always assumed fancy frosting details require a lot of effort, but they don’t. The disposable piping bags and the star frosting tip are a huge help. It’s a baker’s trick that helps create a beautiful finished look.
Be careful to let the cupcakes completely cool before frosting. These are great to make ahead of time, before guests arrive. Putting the frosting in the refrigerator helps make it easier to control.
Enjoy these patriotic cupcakes – for a Summer dessert.
Easy Patriotic Dessert: Red White and Blue Cupcakes
Repeat with the other 2 frosting colors.
Yields 16 cupcakes
- 1/2 C. butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 C. granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 C. milk
- Red gel food coloring
- Blue gel food coloring
- 3 C. powdered sugar
- 1/3 C. butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp. milk
- White cupcake liners
- Patriotic cupcake liners
- Disposable piping bag
- Star frosting tip
- 3 large freezer storage bags
- Plastic wrap
- Kitchen scissors
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 12 count muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Combine the 1/2 cup butter, 2 eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, baking powder, 1 1/2 cups flour and milk, mixing well.
- Divide the cupcake batter into 3 separate bowls. Add a few drops of red food coloring to one bowl and a few drops of blue food coloring in another bowl, mixing well.
- Scoop about 1 1/2 tbsp. of each colored batter into the cupcake liners in the following order: red, white and blue. *You don't want to overfill the cupcake liners
- Bake 18-20 minutes. Insert a toothpick around 18 minutes. If it comes out 'clean' the cupcakes are done.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely prior to decorating.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, combine the powdered sugar, 1/3 cup softened butter, vanilla extract and milk. Once the frosting has reached your desired consistency divide into 3 small dishes.
- Add 1 drop of red gel food coloring to one bowl of frosting and stir to combine. Repeat this step with the blue gel food coloring.
- Lay out a long piece of plastic wrap on the counter and a large baking sheet (you can always trim).
- Fill one freezer bag with one color of frosting. Snip the corner using the kitchen scissors and gently squeeze the frosting out in a long line on the plastic wrap.
- Repeat step #10 with the other 2 frosting colors.
- Once all the frosting is lined up, gently roll the plastic wrap as shown in the photo. Place in the fridge a few minutes to firm up.
- Attach the star frosting tip to the disposable piping bag. Remove the frosting from the fridge. Cut in half if needed (mine was really long) and place the open end down into the frosting tip.
- Gently squeeze the frosting out of the bag and onto the cupcake in a circular motion.
- Repeat with all cupcakes.
Pin For Later: