The first step (pun intended) to any Run Disney weekend, is a trip to the expo. I’ve been attending Run Disney expos since 2012 and they always seem to go a bit different each time. Sometimes it feels like a madhouse and other times it feels like organized chaos.
Our first stop was obligatory photos in front of the race banners! I was excited for mine, but JP seemed less than thrilled about standing in front of the kid’s race banner. But Mama needed the photo!
Surprisingly, this expo seemed well organized compared to my last experience at the Wine & Dine Half. The expo was already open for two days prior to my bib pick up which helped. The Dopey runners were already half way through their weekend and done with the expo.
You’d think that all of the official merchandise would be gone by now, right? IT WAS FULLY STOCKED. Between visiting both official merchandise locations, I found everything I wanted. I scored an “I did it” headband, commemorative jacket, car magnet and tumbler.
I also checked out a few of my favorite brands at the expo, including the 2016 Run Disney New Balance designs. Ariel shoes are adorable, but they sold out of the Flounder clip-on. They’ll be back in stock for Princess Half!
The new 2016 Dumbo New Balance Run Disney shoes for men were released as well.
Here are my favorite expo tips for a smooth experience
- Copy the Expo layout before going and highlight the booths you want to check out.
- Order commemorative items before the expo to ensure you leave with some official merchandise. You can always return it later.
- Try your official race shirt on immediately and trade it in if you need to change sizes. I’ve done this serval times with no issue.
- If you are looking for “I Did It” shirts and they are sold out, check for the official merchandise tent after the race. Sometimes they’ll have them.
- Keep your bibs in a secure spot along with any race retreat, challenge or coast to coast wrist bands.
- Sign up for the New Balance queue online the morning of the expo at 6AM. You’ll be given a return time for help purchasing the shoes.
- Don’t forget to take your challenge photo if you’re running one.