After a trip to the apple orchard, I always realize we’ve over-picked and have an abundance of produce on our hands. While I love baking or eating them raw for snacks, sometimes I need a recipe that’s lighter but not mundane. These Air Fryer Apple Chips fit the bill!
They make a delicious snack option and I even season them with a little bit of cinnamon spice. It’s a great fall snack recipe that the whole family enjoys.
Dehydrated fruit is so easy to make in your Air Fryer. The air frying process removes the moisture and water content from the apple. In end results is a delicious snack that’s rich in antioxidants and won’t go bad as quickly as fresh apples.
My kids love to enjoy these Apple Chips with peanut butter and enjoy them bare, as an alternative to potato chips. They’re delicious with a fall sandwich and you can store them in your pantry for a couple of weeks.
I’ll walk you through all of the steps to using your air fryer as a dehydrator. It’s easy, simple and these apple chips come out great every time!
Looking for even more great snack recipes for your family? Here are my top-rated snack recipe that readers love:
- Buffalo Chex Mix
- Easy Fruit Salsa
- Butter Pecan Cake Mix Dip (this would be delicious with the apple chips)
How To Make Air Fryer Apple Chips
The only kitchen tools you’ll need to make your apples chips are a fruit paring knife and an air fryer. If you don’t already own an air fryer, I like one with easy one-touch buttons that’s simple to use. Also purchase one that’s dishwasher safe – that makes life easier. Here are top-rated air fryers according to kitchen pros!
What To Eat With Apple Chips
Apple chips are such a great snack food to keep around the house. I enjoy them on their own or I eat them with a bit of nut butter. Almond butter and peanut butter are great for dipping.
I put them in the kid’s school lunches, take them as a road trip snack or even pack them for a fall picnic. There’s nothing better than coming home from picking apples and making some great recipes with your produce.
What Type Of Apples Are Best For Apple Chips?
You can use any type of apple that you want, but depending on the variety you pick, you’ll get different flavors. A tart apple that’s fresh will also be tart when it’s dehydrated. If you love a tart apple, look at Granny Smith or Mutsu. A sweeter apple variety would be Fuji or Honeycrisp.
Apples with thick skins, like Red Delicious, will keep that thick skin in the air fryer. It comes out as slightly thick and chewy.
How To Store Leftover Air Fryer Apple Chips
Store any leftovers in an airtight food storage container. They’ll last 10-14 days in the pantry, if you keep them away from moisture and in a dark cool spot. Do not refrigerate your apple chips. Occasionally, if it’s during the school year, I’ll divide the apple chips into individual portions for kids lunches or snacks. They can easily grab them!
Can You Freeze Apple Chips?
Absolutely not! Do not freeze your apple chips as it adds moisture back into the apple. You want the apple chips to stay dehydrated. You’ll run the risk of your apple chips molding if they’re placed in the freezer.
Tips For Using An Air Fryer For The First Time
- Always keep your air fryer on a level, heat-resistant countertop.
- Pre-heat your air fryer before adding your food. This is easy – just turn the air fryer on to the temperature that you need and set the timer for 2 or 3 minutes. When the timer goes off, the air fryer has pre-heated and is ready for food.
- Don’t overcrowd the basket. I can’t stress this enough. It’s tempting to try to cook more at one time, but over-crowding the basket will prevent foods from crisping and browning evenly and take more time over all.
- Shake the basket. Shaking the basket a couple of times during the cooking process will re-distribute the ingredients and help them to brown and crisp more evenly.
- Clean the drawer as well as the basket after every use.
What You Need From The Store:
- Fresh Apples
Directions To Make Air Fryer Apple Chips
Preheat air fryer at 390 degrees. Add cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Mix to blend. Set aside. Wash the apples thoroughly in warm water. Pat dry. Cut each apple into quarters. Add cut apples to the bowl with the cinnamon and salt mixture.
Toss the apples in the mixture.
Arrange a single layer of the apple slices in the air fryer. Cook at 390 degrees for 8 minutes.
Flip the apple quarters at the 4 minute mark. This batch should be ready in 8 minutes. Check for crispness of the apple slices. Repeat above step for other batches.
Transfer each batch of apple chips to a cooling rack or kitchen towel. Allow the chips to cool completely on the cooling rack. Serve them or put the remaining chips in an air tight container.
How To Make Air Fryer Apple Chips: Bare, Baked & Delicious For Fall
Easy Air Fryer Apple Chips - Delicious For Fall! These apple chips make the perfect snack and come together in minutes.
- 3 large fresh apples
- 1 TBSP ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- Air Fryer
- Cooling Rack
- Preheat air fryer at 390 degrees.
- Add cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Mix to blend. Set aside.
- Wash the apples thoroughly in warm water. Pat dry. Cut each apple into quarters.
- Add cut apples to the bowl with the cinnamon and salt mixture.
Toss the apples in the mixture.
- Arrange a single layer of the apple slices in the air fryer.
Cook at 390 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Flip the apple quarters at the 4 minute mark.
This batch should be ready in 8 minutes.
- Check for crispness of the apple slices.
Repeat above step for other batches.
- Transfer each batch of apple chips to a cooling rack. Allow the chips to cool completely on the cooling rack. Serve them or put the remaining chips in an air tight container.
- Store leftover apple chips in an airtight food storage container. The apples will stay fresh to enjoy for 10-14 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 47Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 293mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 0g
**Nutrition facts are calculated by a third party. Actual nutritional value may vary.
Homemade Caramel Apples Recipe: Candy Coated To Perfection
Monday 28th of October 2019
[…] Related: How To Make Air Fryer Apple Chips […]