As much as I love the turkey at Thanksgiving, I always enjoy the side dishes a bit more. Our family pulls together some decadent vegetable side dishes that taste amazing. One of my favorites is this Broccoli Cheese Casserole recipe. It’s made with creamy cheese and then topped with crunchy seasoned croutons before baked to a bubble. It’s the Thanksgiving broccoli side dish that needs to be on your table this year.
If you want to use this recipe as a make-ahead Thanksgiving side dish, you just have to do the stovetop instructions first. Follow every step, except for adding the croutons. You can then cover the dish and keep in the refrigerator for up to two days ahead of time. When you’re ready to bake it, add your croutons and then bake.
After serving, just store in an air-tight container or add plastic wrap over the top. You can re-heat in the microwave or bake again in the oven, until the center is warm. If you need to add more crushed croutons, you can do that as well. It’s one of my favorite leftover recipes. It always seems even better the next day.
How To Make This Broccoli Cheese Casserole
Preheat oven to 325. Thaw broccoli and let it drain in a colander. You really want to make sure that all of the water is drained, so it doesn’t affect the casserole thickness. You can even blot with paper towels, if necessary.
Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat.
Add onions and stir until bubbly.
Pour in milk and add flour to make a roux.
Cook until mixture boils and thickens.
Add the cheese and stir until completely melted.
Remove from heat and add the broccoli, eggs, salt, nutmeg and pepper.
Pour into a slightly greased 2 qt casserole dish. Sprinkle with croutons.
Bake at 325 for 30 minutes.
- 2 Packages 10oz each of frozen chopped broccoli
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1 Large Onion, Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup of Milk
- 1 Jar (8oz) Cheese Whiz
- 3 Eggs Slightly Beaten
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1 1/2 Cup Seasoned Croutons, Slightly Crushed.
- Preheat oven to 325
- Thaw broccoli and let it drain in a colander.
- Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and stir until bubbly.
- Pour in milk and add flour to make a roux, by cooking until mixture boils and thickens.
- Add the cheese and stir into the mixture until melted.
- Remove from heat and add the broccoli, eggs, salt, nutmeg and pepper.
- Pour into a slightly greased 2 qt casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with croutons. Bake at 325 for 30 minutes
To make ahead of time: Follow every step, but don't add the croutons until you're ready to bake. Keep the refrigerator, add croutons rigth before baking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 109Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 237mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
**Nutritional facts are calculated by a third party. Actual values may vary.