So you’re ready to take the plunge and train for your first Run Disney race. Maybe you’ve been reading race recaps or a friend talked you into it. Either way, it’s an exciting realization when you’re ready to officially sign up and start the training process.
Then the sticker shock happens. Run Disney races aren’t cheap and are definitely an investment to your future “racecation” and, more importantly, your health. As Run Disney races have become more popular over the years, the price seems to jump a bit more with every race season.
Before you fork out the cash and sign up for your dream Run Disney race, it’s best to know what you get with your race registration fee. I’ve put together a list of the basics that are included in your registration fees along with some false assumptions about what’s included…
What is Included:
- Race Bib, Finisher’s Medal and Race Shirt: If you register early, your name is printed on your bib. Every runner receives a finisher’s medal that is metal (not plastic). The 10k, half, marathon and challenge shirts are tech shirts. The 5k race shirts are cotton.
- On Course Entertainment: As you run through the most “magical place on earth” you have the opportunity to take photos with Disney characters or at popular spots (like Cinderella’s castle). Run Disney also places DJ’s and marching bands throughout the course for runner’s entertainment.
- Training Plans: Former Olympian, Jeff Galloway, is the training specialist for Run Disney. His popular run-walk-run plans can be downloaded from Run Disney’s website.
- Hydration, Fueling Stations and Medic Stops: Run Disney provides on course water and Powerade. Depending on the sponsor too, there is a fuel station with energy gels (such as Cliff Shots). Medical staff is also placed throughout the course with small essentials, like bandaids and Vaseline.
- Snack Box: Run Disney provides runners with post race snacks for refueling. The snack box has several items from sponsors and comes with a banana. Powerade and bottled water is also available post race.
What is NOT included:
- Disney Resort Discounts: It is not guaranteed that there will be discounted rooms at the time of the race. You CAN book directly through Disney, a travel agent or Disney Vacation Club. Sometimes discounts do become available after booking your resort, like free dining, and Disney adjusts the cost of your resort package.
- Park Admission, Tickets or Discounts: It’s a common misbelief that you get access to the parks after running a race. That is NOT TRUE. Run Disney does not provided discounted tickets or park admission. You run through the parks, but do not tour the parks.
- Race Photos: Unless you are a Disney Annual Passholder, race photos are not included in your registration fees. Runners can purchase prints and downloads after the race through the My Disney Experience app.
- Commemorative Merchandise: Special merchandise, available at the expo, costs extra and usually needs to be pre-ordered. Pins, jackets and handbags are a few examples of commemorative merchandise.
Run Disney races are absolutely magical, but the magic comes at a steep cost. Is it worth it? I think so! But you decide.