We all know that exercises increases our endorphins and makes us feel better. But sometimes you just can’t bring yourself to do it. It happens to everyone, even the best. Sometimes you just don’t feel like working out and getting the job done. To be honest, about once a week I feel like skipping a workout and I have to fight the urge. Usually it’s because I’m too tired, already busy or just want to have a lazy family day.
But most of the time I know how to fight the urge of not working out and push myself to get the job done. It’s something I’ve perfected over the years and usually it involves playing mind games with myself. But once I’ve worked out, I feel so much better and happier. I even sleep better if I’ve finished a workout for the day.
Here are my top tips for working out when you don’t want to:
- Give yourself a little motivation. I like to treat myself to a manicure or a new workout top if I finish my workouts for the week. But I only earn those treats if I don’t miss a workout.
- “Just give it 15 minutes”. I love this rule. If you try working out for 15 minutes, usually you’ll want to continue. It gives your body enough enough time to warm up and start feeling the benefits. Usually I’ll keep going after 15 minutes.
- Dress the part. If I’m wearing my workout clothes already, it’s easiest for me to get the job done. Try starting the day in your workout clothes.
- Call a friend and ask them to join you. It’s more fun to workout with a friend. You’ll feel like it’s a social date rather than a chore.
- Workout during the commercials. When I REALLY don’t feel like working out, I will get the job done while watching TV. I’ll pick one exercise, like burpees, to complete during the commercials.
- Change up your scenery. If you usually go to the gym to workout, try taking your workout outside. The change of scenery will be a nice change. Sometimes your routine just feel mundane over time.
So next time you don’t feel like working out, try some of the tactics and see if your outlook changes. You’ll feel better about yourself and your day if you workout.
How do you motivate yourself to workout?