I have to admit, I don’t love the cold Winter months. The weather is always dreary and nothing exciting is happening. That’s why I love to go all-out for Valentine’s Day. I’ve taught my oldest that it’s fun to celebrate all of the holidays. We bake special holiday treats together and pass them out as Valentines to friends and family. It puts such a smile on my sons face to hand out a baked good that he’s proud of. These Easy Valentine’s Day Sandwich Cookies are perfect for a classroom party. Plus, they are simple to put throw together and fun to make.
If you’re really feeling creative, plan a Valentine’s Day party and let kids decorate their own cookies. You can offer different sprinkles, or even frosting colors, and let them go nuts. However you chose to use this cookie recipe, everyone will love them!
Easy Valentine’s Day Sandwich Cookies
Start by hand-making the dough for the sugar cookies. I use a standing mixer to help get the job done faster. Be sure the roll the dough out carefully before using your heart cookie cutters. If you want a little extra flavoring, add 1/4 tsp of almond extract with your vanilla too! Cut and bake, then let cool.
Fill your piping bags with frosting and add the special decorative tip – you can purchase both on Amazon. Carefully, trace around the outer edge of the cookie. It’s optional to fill in the center of the cookie.
Place the second half of the cookie on top of your frosting to make the sandwich.
Pour your Valentine’s sprinkles into a dish. Gently, press each sandwich cookie into the sprinkles. Make sure to cover the entire cookie, all the way around.
Serve with milk as a dessert or snack. Perfect for grade-school kids to make with you!
- 1 C. butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 C. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 3 C. flour
- strawberry frosting (I used strawberry)
- heart cookie cutter
- round frosting tip
- disposable piping bag
- Valentine sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer, combine the softened butter. Whip until creamy, 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the vanilla extra and egg, continue to mix.
- Sift in the 3 cups of flour and baking powder.
- The mixture will be stiff so use your hands to finish mixing, if needed.
- Divide the dough into 3-4 smaller batches.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out onto a lightly floured surface to about 1/4" thick.
- Use the heart cookie cutters to cut out the heart shaped cookies, you will want a even amount of cookies to make the treats.
- Place the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet about 2" a part.
- Place the cookies in the oven.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes and let cool completely.
- Attach the frosting tip to the disposable piping bag and fill with strawberry frosting.
- Gently frost the edges of the bottom of a heart shaped cookie.
- Gently place another heart shaped cookie bottom side down on the frosting so it creates a cookie sandwich.
- Poor the Valentine sprinkles into a small dish and gently press the sides the cookie sandwich into the Valentine sprinkles.
- Repeat with all the cookies.
You may also like this Heart Shaped Salad Recipe!
Pin For Later: