When you’re cooking Thanksgiving dinner, you’ve got to use all of the available tools you’ve got. If you own a slow cooker, put it to use to make your holiday dinner even easier! I love using mine so I can throw ingredients in and forget about them. These Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes are the easiest Thanksgiving side dish recipe, made with chopped pecans and coconut. They’re sweet, have a little crunch and come out perfectly tender.
As much as I love a mashed version of sweet potatoes (like my Pretzel Brown Sugar Sweet Potatoes Casserole), I also really enjoy them diced. They cook up to a soft and fork-tender sweet potato and they’re totally different than the mashed potatoes on your table. Even my kids will eat these because they’ve got that touch of sweetness.
How To Make Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes For Thanksgiving
Slow Cooker recipes always make the most moist and tender results because of the way the steam stays trapped inside. The brown sugar in these sweet potatoes creates almost a sauce that coats everything. They’re absolutely delicious and the coconut is an unexpected surprise too.
What To Serve With Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes are part of the All-American Thanksgiving dinner. We never have our holiday without them and they’re a classic. If you’re looking for some more traditional Thanksgiving recipes to serve alongside your sweet potatoes, here are some other ideas:
- Oven Roasted Whole Turkey
- Slow Cooker Apple Sausage Stuffing
- Make Ahead Cranberry Sauce
- Southern Squash Casserole Recipe
- Cranberry Fluff Salad
How To Store Leftover Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes
Once they’ve cooled, store your sweet potatoes in an air-tight container, in the refrigerator. You can drain some of the juices that might release from the potatoes before re-heating them. I just microwave them, for several minutes on high and stir them as needed. They’ll last for 5-7 days in the refrigerator.
What You’ll Need From The Grocery Store:
- 2 1/2 Pounds Sweet Potatoes
- Sweetened Flake Coconut
- Chopped Pecans
- Vanilla Extract
- Ground Cinnamon
- Miniature Marshmallows
Step-By-Step Directions To Make Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes
Place sweet potatoes in a 3-quart slow cooker coated with cooking spray. In a small bowl combine the brown sugar, coconut, pecans, vanilla, salt and cinnamon. Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potatoes. Drizzle with butter.
Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until potatoes are tender, sprinkling the marshmallows during the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
- 2 1/2 Pounds Sweet Potatoes, Peeled and Cut Into 3/4-Inch Cubes
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar, Packed
- 4 Tablespoons Sweetened Flake Coconut
- 4 Tablespoons Chopped Pecans
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
- 1 Cup Miniature Marshmallows
- 1. Place sweet potatoes in a 3-quart slow cooker coated with cooking spray. In a small bowl combine the brown sugar, coconut, pecans, vanilla, salt and cinnamon. Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potatoes. Drizzle with butter.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until potatoes are tender, sprinkling the marshmallows during the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
- If desired, you can toast the chopped pecans prior to placing in the slow cooker.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 255Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 354mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 5gSugar: 25gProtein: 3g
**Nutrition is calculated by a third party. Actual values may vary.