If you love the taste of a Starbuck’s Peppermint Mocha latte, then you’ll really enjoy this Christmas treat! These Peppermint Mocha Brownies are baked with a little bit of fresh coffee, then topped with a homemade peppermint buttercream frosting, and finished with crushed peppermint candy. The best news is that you start with a box of brownie mix – so it’s semi-homemade and EASY.
Sometimes you just get sick of making cookies during the Christmas season. I’m all about shortcuts to save time during the holidays and these are a great cookie alternative. You don’t have to sit around for hours to drop cookies onto a baking sheet.
All you have to do is doctor up a basic box of brownie mix. I just bake them in a 9×9 Pyrex Square Baking Dish (this one comes with a convenient lid for storage after baking), and serve them with a cup of coffee or milk. They’re a great Cookie Exchange alternative.
How To Make These Peppermint Mocha Brownies
Preheat your oven to brownie package instructions. Grease your 9 x 9 baking dish with a floured baking spray. In a large bowl mix together your brownie mix with the wet ingredients (following instructions on the box). Add 3 tablespoons of freshly brewed dark roast coffee.
Bake according to package instructions (typically about 45 minutes). Let the brownies cool completely. In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to mix softened butter with powdered sugar.
Add 1/4 cup of peppermint syrup (I used Torani Peppermint Syrup). If you want to mix in peppermint extract, only add 2 tablespoons. You don’t want it to be overpowering.
Use a spatula to spread the buttercream over the top of the brownies (before cutting). Be careful not to press down too hard on the top of the brownies.
Add crushed peppermint candy on top of the brownies. Store in an air-tight container. Serve with a cup of coffee or cold glass of milk.
- 1 Box of Store-Bought Brownie Mix
- 3 Tablespoons Coffee, Freshly Brewed
- 3 Cups of Powdered Sugar
- 1 Cup of Butter, Softened
- 1/4 Cup Peppermint Syrup (Substitute: 3 Tablespoons Peppermint Extract)
- Crushed Peppermint Candy (Optional)
- Preheat oven according to package directions. Spray a 9 x 9 glass baking dish with a floured spray. Mix together your brownie mix and add fresh coffee.
- Bake according to paackage directions. Let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to mix butter with powdered sugar until smooth and creamy. Mix in your peppermint syrup or extract too.
- Use a spatula to spread over the cooled brownies.
- Slice and add your crushed peppermint candy for topping.
Store in an air-tight container after baking. Sugar-free peppermint syrup can be used as well.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 362 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 54mg Sodium: 178mg Carbohydrates: 46g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 40g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 0g