There are some flavors from your childhood that you crave forever. For me, that’s a good old-fashioned Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich. There is nothing better than the sweet jelly combined with the creamy nut flavor. Now that I’m not prepping a to-go lunch everyday, I’ve got a grown up version of my favorite flavors. These Easy Peasy Peanut Butter and Jelly Pretzel Bars will be a big hit in your home!
Whip up a tray of these bars for an easy dessert option that will bring back memories of the classic sandwich. Make them ahead of a family gathering, a church function, book club – whatever.
You can even make them and freeze what you don’t eat. Just thaw them again before serving. You can’t beat the tart flavor and crunchy pretzel bottom.
Related: White Chocolate Chip Caramel Bars
Easy Peasy Peanut Butter and Jelly Pretzel Bars
Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 11 x 7 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
Add 4 cups of pretzels to a food processor and finely chop.
Add the pretzels to a medium mixing bowl. Mix in 2 sticks of softened butter and 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Mix well to incorporate.
Transfer the pretzel mixture to your parchment lined pan and press down firmly.
Place the pan in preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes on a wire rack. Turn off oven.
For the middle layer, place the pan in preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes on a wire rack. Turn off oven.
FOR THE BOTTOM LAYER:
- 4 cups small pretzel twists
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter - softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- I!FOR THE MIDDLE LAYER:
- 8 oz jar creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
FOR TOP LAYER:
- 18 oz jar strawberry jelly (I used Smuckers)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar - firmly packed
- 2 cups tiny pretzel twists
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter - cold
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 11 x 7 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add 4 cups of pretzels to a food processor and finely chop.
- Add the pretzels to a medium mixing bowl. Mix in 2 sticks of softened butter and 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Mix well to incorporate.
- Transfer the pretzel mixture to your parchment lined pan and press down firmly.
- Place the pan in preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes on a wire rack. Turn off oven.
- DIRECTIONS FOR MIDDLE LAYER: Add the peanut butter and 2 sticks of the softened butter to a large mixing bowl. With an electric mixer, mix on medium speed for about 20 seconds to combine.
- Add 1/2 of the powdered sugar and mix for 20 seconds.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until light and fluffy.
- Transfer the peanut butter mixture into the pan, on top of the cooled pretzel crust. Use a spatula to smooth out evenly. Chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- DIRECTIONS FOR TOPPING: Preheat oven to 325°. Remove pan from refrigerator and set aside. Spoon the jelly into a medium microwave safe bowl. (I used a 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup). Microwave on high for 45 seconds and stir.
- Spread the warm strawberry jelly on top of the peanut butter layer, covering completely. Set aside.
- Place 2 cups of pretzels in a food processor and process until fine crumbs. Pour into a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the flour, brown sugar and whisk to combine.
- Slice a stick of butter into cubes and add it to the pretzel mixture.
- Using a pastry cutter or 2 forks, cut the mixture until it resembles crumbs. Sprinkle on top of the jelly, covering completely.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until the crumb mixture turns golden brown.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 1 hour. Once cooled, place in the refrigerator for an additional hour to allow the peanut butter layer to solidify ( if you were to cut into this while it is warm it will be to gooey).
- To serve, slice while chilled and store uncovered in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 257Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 218mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 1gSugar: 28gProtein: 4g
**Nutrition is calculated by a third party. Actual values may vary.