Simply Oven Baked Fried Green Tomatoes
I may be partial, but some of the best tasting food comes from southern cuisine. Since living in Atlanta and marrying a man who grew up in the south, I’ve grown accustomed to the rich and heavy flavors. What I don’t love is all the grease and oil that comes with southern good. These oven baked fried green tomatoes are a great alternative to the classic dish.
Related: Ranch Seasoned Oyster Crackers
These are also a low carb Keto version because I omitted the typical flour the usual recipe. The almond flour gives it even better texture, in my opinion. Nobody will know the difference! You can make them as part of your weekly meal prep. Just be sure to store them in an air-tight container. They’ll get soggy in the refrigerator.
I like using a mandolin to keep my tomatoes perfectly even sliced, but it’s not necessary. This recipe also works with red tomatoes, if you want to mix it up!
How To Make Oven Baked Fried Green Tomatoes
- 3 medium green tomatoes sliced about 1/4" thick
- 1 C. almond flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 large eggs
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 C. mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. prepared horseradish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the almond flour, onion powder and garlic powder and set aside.
- Whisk both eggs in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Dip one tomato slice at a time in the egg and then in the almond flour mixture. Flip to coat both sides.
- Place the tomato slice on the baking sheet and repeat with the remaining tomato slices.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, flipping about halfway through.
- While the tomato slices are baking, combine the mayonnaise and prepared horseradish.
- Remove the green tomatoes from the oven and serve with horsey sauce.
Serving Size:3 slices
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 107 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 33mg Sodium: 81mg Carbohydrates: 4g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Protein: 4g