I have an affection for delicious desserts. While I’m a certified chocoholic, every now and then I venture out of my comfort zone to make a tasty alternative. Layered cakes are a classic dessert that are gaining popularity (buh-bye cake pops) and I love the way they look. This Layered Orange Cake recipe is a beautiful spring dessert option. Make it for an al fresco dinner or serve at your Easter celebration.
Related: Frozen Lemon Pie Recipe
Baking layered cakes doesn’t have to be intimidating. Sure, there are a few extra steps, but the end result is always a showstopper dessert. Taking your time to prep the cake pans can make all the difference. These baking tips for layer cakes are a great resource if you’re new to making them.
- 4 C flour
- 3 tsp Baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 C unsalted sweet cream butter, melted
- 4 C sugar
- 2 C Buttermilk
- 2 tsp pure Vanilla extract
- 2 tsp Orange extract
- 4 tbsp Orange zest
- 3-5 drops of orange gel food coloring
- For The Buttercream Frosting:
- 6 sticks (3 C) unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 6-8 C powdered sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large piping bag fitted with a star tip
- 1 small angled spatula
- Orange gel food coloring
- 2 medium mixing bowls
- For The Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray 3 9inch baking rounds with pam baking spray.
- Using a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder.
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the eggs, butter, and sugar until combined.
- Beat in the buttermilk, vanilla, orange extract and orange zest until combined.
- Gradually beat in the flour mixture until combined.
- Mix until combined the orange food coloring. Divide the batter between the three pans and baking for 30-35 minutes or until a knife comes out clean in the center.
- Allow the cakes to cool down completely. Then, cut the dome on top of the cake and the stiff sides.
- For the frosting & Assembly: Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar, vanilla on low speed until smooth, then mix for an additional 2 minutes, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Place one cake layer on a serving platter. Spread 1 cup of frosting over top, then top with the second cake layer, pressing lightly down.
- Spread 1 cup of frosting evenly over the top. Repeat the steps with the remaining two cake layers.
- Frost a crumb coat onto the cake and then place cake into the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Decorating Directions: Scoop 1 C of white frosting into one bowl
In the first bowl, mix in a few drops of orange gel food coloring.
Remove cake from fridge and place onto a rotating cake stand
Scoop 1 C of white frosting into the piping bag.
- Using remaining white frosting, frost entire cake and smooth with a cake smoother.
- Using the angled spatula, scoop out some orange frosting and randomly dap it onto the white frosting.
- Using the cake smoother, smooth the orange frosting into the white to create a unique blend.
- Pipe dollops of white frosting onto the top. Zest an orange over the top & place in the fridge overnight to allow frosting to harden before enjoying!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 366Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 512mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 4gSugar: 21gProtein: 3g
**Nutrition is calculated by a third party. Actual values may vary.