Tomorrow I’ve got a 5:45AM wake up time for my long run. During my college years, you couldn’t pay me to wake up that early and workout! But I’ve trained myself to get my butt up and workout on the days I need to. Sometimes, as a Mom, it’s the only time I have to workout.
It takes a little discipline and drive to get out of your cozy bed for a workout. It’s all about eliminating the excuses. I’ve got some tips to help you out:
- Prepare the night before: Lay out your clothes, sports watch and shoes. Prep your gym bag for the workout and refresh anything you might need, like Bandaids or Body Glide. Double check that electronics are fully charged.
- Set your Alarm: Set it and put it across the room. That way you have to get out of bed to turn it off. A little movement will help you wake up.
- Sleep in some of your workout clothes: I’ve met girls who sleep in their sport bras or socks to save time in the morning. It means your almost ready before you even wake up. This is a great tip if you hate getting dressed for the workout.
- Workout with Friends: By making it a date, other people are depending on you to meet them.
- Give yourself an incentive: Find something cheap that excites you, like new music or a magazine to read while on the cardio machine. It will give you something to look forward to. One of my friends downloads new TV shows to watch while on the treadmill.
Experts say it takes 21 days to make something a habit. You might fail a few times in the beginning, but keep trying for a few weeks. It feels so good to have your workout done before the kids wake up or before you go to work. It also helps me eat better throughout the day, so I don’t “undo” my workout.
Do you have any tips on working out in the early morning?