Quick fuel, on-the-go during a run, can be priceless to any athlete. From the runner who is just praying to finish, to the elite runners, fuel is vital to their success. During my own journey with testing out fuel during long runs, I’ve come to realize that options with artificial ingredients don’t settle well with my tummy. I need a quick source of sugar that’s easy to chew, won’t melt in my pocket and tummy-friendly. I created these delicious Homemade Watermelon Running Chews as a great option to take with me. They are easy to make, won’t melt and I can cut them to any size or shape. Even my toddler likes them! I guarantee that you’ll feel better on your runs without the artificial additives of other chews.
Make a batch of these on the weekend and use throughout the week. Just keep them refrigerated until you are ready to run. You can pack, the desired amount, in a zippered sandwich bag for each run.
Homemade Watermelon Running Chews
Featuring Dixie Crystals. Serves 16.
Ingredients (Affiliate Links):
- 1 1/2 Cups of Fresh Seedless
- 1 Tablespoon Dixie Crystals
- 1/2 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Gelatin (3 Knox Packets)
- Pour fresh watermelon into a blender and puree until liquid consistency.
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, heat the fruit, sugar, and lemon juice until sugar has dissolved.
- Pour in gelatin slowly, whisking to incorporate. Continue to whisk until the gelatin is completely dissolved into the fruit mixture.
- Pour mixture into a glass, Pyrex, or silicon pan, and put into the refrigerator for at least one hour. The chews should start to set after an hour in the fridge.
- Once set, cut into individual pieces and store in an airtight container.
NOTE: If using a glass container, lining with parchment paper will help the mixture release easily.
These Homemade Watermelon Running Chews also make a great snack for the kid’s to take to school or enjoy after playing outside. You can even experiment with different types of fruits. A peach/vanilla combo would be delicious too! The recipe is so easy and versatile.