This Heart Salad Recipe is full of healthy ingredients and tastes as good as it looks. The recipe, created by Dole, is inspired by Belle from the new live-action “Beauty and the Beast“. Try the Heart Salad as lunch idea to introduce your little ones to eating healthy. They will love that the salad is inspired by one of their favorite Disney princesses!
Dole has partnered with Disney to help parents encourage their families to make healthier eating choices. Families can now purchase DOLE Bananas, Pineapples, Salads and Vegetables adorned with characters from Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” to create delicious, nutritious Dole recipes inspired by the Disney film- like this Heart Salad recipe.
I try to get my own preschooler excited about eating healthy by letting him help me in the kitchen. Young kids love to press a salad spinner, throw the toppings on and plate the meal. By getting him involved in the kitchen, he’s learning about the importance of healthy eating while having fun.
The end result is this Heart Salad inspired by Belle!
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1-1/2 cups diced fresh DOLE® Tropical Gold® Pineapple 1 cup DOLE Spring Mix
- 2 teaspoons toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons Sesame Ginger Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup DOLE Raspberries and/or DOLE Blueberries
- Toss avocado with lime juice.
- Layer avocado using a 4-inch heart cookie cutter as a guide on the serving plate. Place a 3-inch heart shaped cookie cutter on top and create a second pineapple layer.
- Toss spring mix and pine nuts with Sesame Ginger Vinaigrette and arrange on the pineapple. Scatter berries around the plate and serve immediately.
- Sesame Ginger Vinaigrette: Whisk together 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon water and 1 tablespoon miso paste until blended. Stir in 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger, 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce, 1 teaspoon honey, 1 teaspoon canola oil and 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Refrigerate until ready to use. Makes about 1/2 cup.