When we were getting married, a long long time ago, we did our wedding tasting for our cocktail reception. They had adult versions of grilled cheeses that were served on a fancy toothpick (of course). I loved the fresh versions of the classic sandwich we all grew up with. So, I had to create my own take on it. This is the Best Gourmet Grilled Cheese recipe you’ll ever taste.
It has thinly sliced green apple for a tart flavor, dijon mustard, crispy thick bacon and a whole bunch of melted sharp cheddar cheese. I like to make mine with a thicker white sandwich bread or sourdough. Sara Lee Artesano Bread is found easily and works great. This sandwich is a beautiful thing, people. Every Winter, I crave this grilled cheese and make it for our family. You need to try it to understand my passion for it!
The Best Gourmet Grilled Cheese Recipe
Start by grilling your bacon until crispy. If you want to save time, a packed microwavable bacon works just fine too. Use a mandolin to evenly slice your green apple, or slice by hand.
Butter two pieces of bread and place butter side up. Stack your cheese first, then dijon, apple and bacon. Top with another slice of cheese. Place the second piece of bread on top – butter side down. Warm your grill to a medium heat and butter the outside of each bread slice.
Grill evenly on both sides until golden brown. Slice in the center and serve immediately. Kettle chips or tomato soup are great parings for the gourmet grilled cheese. It’s the perfect lunch option or great for a busy weeknight dinner. I hope you enjoy it as much as our family does!
Yields 2 sandwiches
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Sliced Granny Smith Apple
- 1/2 lb. Cooked Crispy Bacon
- 4 Slices Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Slices of White Bread (sourdough is an option)
- Cook bacon until crispy.
- Butter the inside of two bread slices.
- 1 cheese slice, 1/2 tablespoon dijon, 2 green apple slices and 2 strips of bacon.
- Place another slice of cheese on top.
- Add the second buttered slice of bread on top to finish before grilling.
- Butter the outside of each bread slice and grill on a medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
You May Also Like: Cherry Cheesecake Brownies
PIN FOR LATER: