Weeknight dinners don’t have to be difficult. You can make a delicious casserole that bakes to perfection every time. I love this Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Casserole recipe because it’s consistently easy and delicious. It’s a great warm dinner when you need a little winter comfort food. I prepare the casserole ahead of time and bake when we get home from after-school sports. The whole family enjoys this dinner and it’s a regular on our weekly family menu.
Related: Easy SouthWest Baked Chicken Dinner
If you’d like to make a lighter version of this recipe, you can substitute the traditional pasta for spaghetti squash. It’s a great way to cut the carbs without subtracting the flavor. Just slice your spaghetti squash and lay flat on a roasting pan. Add some olive oil and bake at 400º for 30 minutes until softened. Use a fork to shred the spaghetti squash.
Of course, it’s a bit more time consuming than the original pasta version. Both are equally delicious! Save your leftovers in an air-tight container. You can either microwave or bake in the oven again to re-heat.
How To Make Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
- 1 12 oz box of spaghetti
- 2 cups cooked rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 10 oz package chopped spinach, thawed
- 3 cloves or 1 tablespoon garlic powder minced
- 2 10 oz cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 6 oz can french fried onion, divided
- Pre-heat oven to 350' degrees. Cook the spaghetti according to package directions.Set to the side.
- While the pasta is cooking in a medium bowl beat the egg and add the sour cream, cream of chicken soup, Parmesan cheese, Monterrey Jack cheese. garlic and onion powder. Stir to combine.
- Add the chicken, spinach, half the fried onions to the sauce mixture.Stir to combine. Drain the spaghetti and to the chicken mixture. Toss to combine.
- Transfer to a 9x13 baking dish covered in non-stick baking spray.
- Spread evenly and cover with foil. Bake at 350º for 30 minutes
Remove from the oven and remove foil.
- Top with remaining cheese and fried onions.
Return to oven for another five minutes.
Cover with plastic wrape or aluminum foil and store in the refrigerator. For leftovers, pre-heat the oven to 350º and warm again for 20 minutes. Check the center to see if it's warm througout.
Looking for a low-carb option? Try substituing roasted spaghetti squash! You can bake it the same way. It's a great lighter version with less carbs.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 370 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 93mg Sodium: 847mg Carbohydrates: 25g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 23g