I love making pies, but I was never really a big fan of the apple pie taste. On the other hand, my father loves apple pie served with vanilla ice cream. I started making this Dutch Caramel Apple Pie recipe and it *might* be considered life changing. It’s easy enough for beginner bakers and delicious with the pecan crunch. It’s even sold me on the taste of apple pie – I guess I just needed that added caramel flavor!
What To Serve With Your Caramel Apple Pie
I make our annual Caramel Apple Pie every fall. We take a family trip up to the North Georgia apple orchards and buy our apples from R&A Orchards. I’ll bring home a big bushel of Granny Smith Apples and bake away. This Caramel Apple Pie recipe is amazing with a bowl of vanilla ice cream. I like a true vanilla bean ice cream too. The pie acts like an amazing decadent topping.
The pie is also great with a cold glass of milk or cup of coffee. You really can’t go wrong with this classic fall flavor. I’ve even made it as a Thanksgiving dessert option – everyone loves it.
How To Make This Caramel Apple Pie Recipe
Preheat oven to 350º. Thaw your refrigerated store-bought pie crust and roll out onto your 9″ pie plate – crimp or fold the edges.
Add caramel topping to the top of the pie crust and spread evenly. Set aside.
Clean your apples and use an apple peel to slice them evenly while peeling.
In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and vanilla.
Combine pecans, sugars, cinnamon and corn starch. Add it into the apples and toss together.
Add the apple mixture into the pie shell – it will be filled above the top of the pie plate. Pour melted butter over the top.
In a small bowl, combine the flour, pecans and sugar.
Cut cold butter into the mixture, using a pastry cutter. It’ll resemble course sprinkles.
Add the topping to the top of the pie. You want to carefully pat it into place, so the whole pie is covered.
Bake for 55-65 minutes. Filling should be bubbly and top should be browned. Immediately drizzle with caramel topping. Cool on a wire rack.
- 7 Cups Peeled & Sliced Apples (Granny Smith)
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 Cup Chopped Pecans
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar, Packed
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 4 1/2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1/4 Cup Caramel Topping
- 1 Unbaked Store-Bought Refrigerated Pie Shell
- 3 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- For The Topping:
- 3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 2/3 Cup Chopped Pecans
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 6 Tablespoons Cold Butter
- 1/4 Cup Caramel Topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll your refrigerated pie crust into the pie plate. Crimp or roll edges.
- Add your caramel topping on top of the pie shell crust. Set aside.
- In a large bowl toss apples with lemon juice and vanilla. Combine pecans, sugars, cinnamon and cornstarch. Add to apples and toss to coat. Drizzle with butter.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, pecans and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbles. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes until filling is bubby and topping is browned. Drizzle remaining caramel topping over the top. Cool on wire rack.
Serve with vanilla bean ice cream, coffee or a cold milk. Cover with plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator between serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 526Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 208mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 6gSugar: 44gProtein: 5g
**Nutritional facts are calculated by a third party. Actual values may vary.
Pin For Later: