I crave salads for dinners when the weather starts to warm up. The crisp lettuce and juicy fruit is such a delicious texture combination. This Blueberry and Avocado Salad is quick to throw together and perfect for a light dinner option. This recipe, created by Dole, is inspired by Disney’s character ‘Cogsworth’ from “Beauty and The Beast”. I can totally see it with the little blueberries being like his internal parts. It’s so creative!
Dole has partnered with Disney to help parents encourage their families to make healthier eating choices. Families can now purchase DOLE Bananas, Pineapples, Salads and Vegetables adorned with characters from Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” to create delicious, nutritious Dole recipes inspired by the Disney film- like this Spicy Banana and Shrimp Crepes Recipe.
I went to my local grocer and picked up some awesome and ripe Dole blueberries to use. I love that this salad uses everything that is in season right now. That makes it easy when you want to save money on your produce too.
- 2 dill pickles, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup DOLE® Fresh Blueberries
- 1/4 cup DOLE Mandarin Oranges, drained
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 avocados, halved,pitted, scooped and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons chopped DOLE Red Onion
- 3 tablespoons DOLE Raisins
- 1 package (12 oz.) DOLE American Blend
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except DOLE® American Blend. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Add DOLE American Blend to bowl; toss well. Transfer to 4 shallow bowls.
- Tip:Fresh cucumber is a milder option for the pickles. Substitute one cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces for the two dill pickles. To sweeten the dish a bit more, swap the blueberries for 1/4-cup halved, red seedless grapes, and the mandarin oranges for 1 medium apple that's been peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
To celebrate the new live-action “Beauty and The Beast”, you can enter Dole and Disney’s: “There’s Beauty in Healthy Living” Sweepstakes (Ends April 16th, 2017). Participants can answer a character-inspired quiz for a chance to win one of the following prizes:
- One (1) Grand Prize: One (1) travel package to the Orlando, Florida, area for winner and up to three (3) guests with roundtrip airfare, 5-day/4-night stay at a resort hotel, four (4) days of theme park tickets and Four (4) days/nights of dining plans.
- Five (5) First Prizes: One (1) 13-piece Patina Vie Beauty and the Beast plate and glassware package and five (5) Dole fruit or vegetable coupons.
- Ten (10) Second Prizes: each winner to receive a $50 movie gift card.