There’s nothing better than a great tasting margarita to sip on when it’s hot outside. I love this Blue Melon Margarita. It looks pretty, tastes slightly sweet without being overpowering and uses my favorite tequilas. It’s a great blue cocktail recipe and one that I make every summer.
I have a passion for margaritas and I think it’s my favorite cocktail. The hot Georgia summers is an excuse to have a cocktail in my hand by the afternoon. I’m usually sipping a margarita and walking the dog along our lake.
This is a twist on a traditional margarita. It has blueberry flavors that combine with melon that gives it the sweet flavor and beautiful color. Pick your favorite tequila (I love using a blanco or reposado) and get mixing – you’re going to love this cocktail!
Looking for other great margaritas to try? Here are some of my favorite drinks and an excuse to drink a bit of tequila:
How To Make A Blue Melon Margarita
I use a classic cocktail kit to make my drinks. If you don’t have that, you’ll need at least a cocktail shaker and a jigger for measuring. That’s it! It’s served over the rocks, so get your favorite ice ready to go. Be fancy with nugget ice or just use your fridge ice – whatever works.
How To Make This Margarita For Parties
I love this cocktail for parties and it’s easy to double or triple. Consider purchasing a Jumbo Cocktail Shaker that holds 60oz. The recipe below serves 1 persons. Quadruple the recipe, in the same shaker, and pour over ice.
Do not add ice directly into the shaker if you’re making it for a party. It will water it down. Instead, shake the margarita and pour over ice as each guests requests a new drink.
How To Pick The Best Tequila For Margaritas
A blanco, or repasado, tequila is my favorite type to use. It’s aged 2-12 months in an oak barrel. It has a smooth flavor and notes of oak, vanilla, and caramel. It’s richer and gives a smooth finish. It’s also more clear colored, so it won’t effect the color of our cocktail.
What Makes This Blue Melon Margarita Colorful
This Blue Melon Margarita has layers. Its gradient color comes from two different types of liquid mixes that are stacked. The base is a ready-made blueberry margarita mix. The second layer is a mix of tequila, Grand Marnier, Honeydew Melon Syrup and regular margarita mix.
Blue Melon Margarita Ingredients:
- Blueberry Margarita Mix – Rancho La Gloria makes a mix (Total Wine or Kroger)
- Tequila – A Blanco or Reposado is best
- Grand marnier – Any orange liquor would work too
- Honeydew Melon Syrup – Available on Amazon
- Margarita Mix – traditional margarita mix
- Garnish Ideas: Sugar, Margarita Salt, Simply Syrup, Lime Wedge & Fresh Blueberries
Directions To Make A Blue Melon Margarita Cocktail
Rim the edge of your glasses with a salt rim or sugar rim. Dip your glass in simple syrup and then into either the sugar or salt. Set to the side.
Fill your glasses 3⁄4 of the way full with ice. Add the blueberry margarita mix to the glass and fill it 1⁄2 full.
Add some fresh blueberries to the glass.
In a cocktail shaker add all of the melon ingredients and shake vigorously to combine. Pour the cocktail mixture into the ice filled glass. Garnish and enjoy.
- 3 oz ready made Blueberry Margarita Mix
- 1 oz Tequila
- 1⁄2 oz Grand marnier
- 1 oz Honeydew Melon Syrup 1 oz Margarita Mix
- Sugar (for rim)
- Margarita Salt (for rim)
- Simple syrup
- Lime wheel or wedge
- Fresh Blueberries
1. Rim the edge of your margarita glasses with a salt rim or sugar rim.
Dip your glass in simple syrup and then into either the sugar or salt.
Set to the side.
2. Fill your glasses 3⁄4 of the way full with ice. Add the Blueberry margarita to the glass and fill it 1⁄2 full.
3. Add some fresh blueberries to the glass.
4. In a cocktail shaker add all of the melon ingredients and shake vigorously to combine. Pour the cocktail mixture into the ice filled glass.
Garnish and enjoy.
- To serve at a party, triple or quadruple the recipe and pour over ice. Do not keep ice in the cocktail shaker as it will water down.
- Any orange liquor will work if you don't have Grand Marnier
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1403Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1067mgCarbohydrates: 312gFiber: 4gSugar: 276gProtein: 1g
**Nutrition is calculated by a third party. Actual values may vary.