When you think about chili, Ohio might not be the first state you think of. Second to Texas though, Ohio is the biggest Chili fan state in the U.S. Straight from The Buckeye State, I’m bringing you an easy 5 Way Cincinnati Chili recipe that your family will love. This classic recipe has been named one of the most iconic foods of the United States and it’s a family-favorite in our own home. It’s *almost* a copycat Skyline Chili recipe, but I’ve got my own twist.
How did Cincinnati Chili come about? If you’re from Ohio, chances are that you’ve had it at least once. Skyline restaurant serves the famous dish and they’re a local restaurant group.
Basically, it is a Mediterranean-spiced meat sauce used as a topping for spaghetti (or hot dogs) and both dishes were developed by Macedonian immigrant restaurateurs in the 1920s. Homemade recipes most always include unsweetened dark chocolate as well – just like this one!
What Is 5 Way Cincinnati Chili?
The toppings are what decides if you’re eating it 3, 4 or 5 way! Toppings include cheese, onions, and beans; specific combinations of toppings are known as “ways.” Ways are often served with oyster crackers and a mild hot sauce. You’ll never be served Cincinnati Chili in a bowl because it’s always over a bed a spaghetti.
In my recipe, I’ll show you how to make it 3, 4 or 5 way. Each family member can enjoy their chili however they want to. I guarantee everyone will love this winter comfort dinner recipe.
Easy 3, 4 or 5 Way Cincinnati Chili Recipe
- 1 box, 16 oz, spaghetti, cooked, drained and kept warm for serving
- 1 lb ground beef (lean)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can, 14.5 oz, diced tomatoes
- 1 can, 15 oz, tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- Salt and pepper
- Optional Toppings: Shredded Cheese (3-way), Diced Onions (4-Way), Canned Chili Beans (5-Way)
- Add beef, onion and garlic in a skillet. Heat over medium high heat until meat is brown and no longer pink.
- Drain grease and return to pan.
- Add tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, spices and chocolate.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently until chocolate is melted.
- Season with salt and pepper and continue to simmer for 10 minutes so seasoning can mingle.
- Serve on top of a bed of warm spaghetti pasta.
- To make it 3 way, top with shredded cheese. To make it 4 way, add onions too. To make it 5 way Cincinnati Chili - add cheese, onoins and canned beans.
I like to keep my pasta and chili seperate. If you have any leftover chili, just keep it refrigerated. You can re-heat in the microwave or back on top of the stove.
Make some fresh pasta when serving as leftovers!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 504 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 79mg Sodium: 970mg Carbohydrates: 50g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 9g Sugar: 11g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 33g
Pin For Later: