I remember when we found out I was pregnant with my oldest son. Our daily driver was a stylish 2-seater sport car. One of the first things my Husband and I panicked about was the thought of buying a family vehicle. It was time to purchase the perfect family car that could grow with our family. Of everything we did to prepare for my son’s arrival, purchasing a new car was one of the most important decisions.
There are so many steps to finding the perfect family car, but it doesn’t have to be overwhelming. I’m going to break down the process, so it’s easy to understand. The research portion is crucial to successfully pick the right vehicle. My go-to spot for online research is Cars.com. It’s a one-stop destinations where car buyers can navigate the buying process with the tools they need. Cars.com acts as a gateway between the consumer and dealers, so you’re completely prepared before you step foot at a dealership.
Use these 5 simple tips to buy the perfect family car for your home.
5 Tips for Buying the Perfect Family Car
- Make a List of What Is Important to You. Before you start your research, sit down and make a list of what your family needs. How many seats do you need? Is your family still growing or not? Are cup holders important to you? I know it sounds silly, but you need to think about comfort, safety and affordability.
- Start Your Research. When you begin your research, look at Cars.com’s “Research Car Models” tab. You can find expert reviews, safety ratings and price information. I love the car seat check option. That’s a great feature for new families. Once you research the models, make a list of 3-5 that might work for your family’s lifestyle.
- Decide if You Want To Buy New or Used. There are benefits to buying both new and used. Look at your finances and decide which option fits best. Cars.com will guide you to the appropriate dealership for the option that works best. Buying new makes me feel more comfortable about avoiding service fess, yet buying used is a great way to save money up front. Sometimes dealers have incentives for buying a new car too.
- Take it for a Test Drive. Once you select a dealer through Cars.com, you can set up an appointment for a test drive. I recommend brining all of your “family gear” with you to test out trunk space. Even try installing a car seat. The cars.com app gives you on-the-lot mobile features to keep you feeling prepared as you ask any questions. It’s confidence at your fingertips.
- Set up Financing and Buy. You can pre-qualify before you go to the dealership, but they have multiple financial institutions that they can check for the lowest interest rates. It’s also important to decide if you and your partner are co-signing. The Cars.com app can still help guide you through the buying process, to make sure it goes seamlessly.
I hope buying the perfect family car isn’t an overwhelming situation. These steps are key to ensure that you make the right choice for your family vehicle. Then you’ll be comfortable and safe, as a family, when hitting the road.
Follow Cars.com on Social Media:
Looking for my personal recommendation on a Mommy mobile? Check out my review of the Mazda CX-9.